Gabi Lorino is a writer, editor, and ukulele player who has spent years learning to spin a good yarn. Her first ebook, A Magical Time Called Later, was inspired by several conversations with a disgruntled 38-year-old bridesmaid and came to her while she was washing dishes one night before Christmas 2015… hence the Christmas undertones.
Her next project was contributing to the Made in L.A.: Stories Rooted in the City of Angels anthology, which was released at the 2018 L.A. Festival of Books. Both of her stories tie into characters who were introduced in A Magical Time Called Later.
Her upcoming book, tentatively named Gen X Singletons, travels back in time to the 1990s and follows three friends through to the present day. Ladies, you might enjoy these stories if you remember:
- Going out in the pre-cell phone days, armed with only keys, lip gloss, ID, and cash in your pocket
- Attempting to find your way around unfamiliar places with a paper map, by following street signs, or perhaps cursing about the situation until you felt better and driving around until you found where you needed to go
- Speed dating and dating your fellow Gen X guys in general… it’s funny how the first generation of latchkey kids found it hard to commit
- Walking around school talking to friends, in an environment where no one wore ear buds or bluetooth devices
- Being out of luck if you couldn’t get in line or be on the internet at the exact time necessary to purchase highly sought after concert tickets
- Sitting around with friends at someone’s off-campus apartment, in the dark with candles lit, philosophizing about life
If you can’t get enough of the east-coast hilarity in Gabi’s stories, check out her west-coast ramblings at diaryofacaliforniatransplant.wordpress.com